Friday, February 13, 2015

General Mills & Their Effort To Make Gluten Free Cereal

I made a post just yesterday stating that General Mills were making gluten free cereal but the risk of cross contamination was high because it wasn't being made in a gluten free area. 
I came to this conclusion by reading the articles announcing the g.f. cereal. 
No where in the articles did it mention that it will be made in a dedicated facility and I confirmed it
by talking to someone on a gluten free page. 

I stand corrected and want to inform everyone that I confirmed with two ladies from General Mills that their Honey Nut Cherrios are indeed going to meet FDA standards for under 20ppm of gluten and will be made in a dedicated area. 

As of now, it will be safe to consume their (gluten free) cereal. If however, it does make you sick after eating it, I would recommend not consuming it anymore. 

I apologize for my quick post but I was sure it was not gluten free.
My mistake was not calling them up and confirming this with them. 
I assure you, this will not happen again! 

General Mills Gluten Free Cereal will be available in July of this year. 


I am excited to stand corrected because I now know it should be safe for me to eat one of my favorite cereals (honey nut cherrios) again. 

Thank you General Mills for making your gluten free cereal in a separate area, reducing the risk of cross contamination. I look forward to trying out the cereal come July. 


-Gluten Free Momma


UPDATE AS OF 2/20/15
I got an e-mail back from General Mills in a response to my e-mail about the risk of cross contamination and their gluten free cereal and this is what they said: 

"Thank you for contacting Cheerios with your inquiry.

Whenever we manufacture gluten-free products, we take specific steps to ensure that the process and equipment used does not provide any opportunity for gluten or gluten-containing ingredients to get into our products.  General Mills has stringent programs and precautions in place to ensure the product meets gluten-free requirements.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if we can help you again.

Thank you,


Rhonda Short
Consumer Response Representative"

No comments:

Post a Comment