Saturday, January 16, 2016

Being Evicted by Gluten


Do any of you face the challenge of being in a home where it is impossible to be 100% gluten free?. I face this every second of my day 24/7 and it is actually forcing me to want to leave. 

Nothing against my family and my wonderful kids but all because we cannot get rid of gluten completely due to how expensive that would be. As you all know, going gluten free for 1 person is super expensive, if you add 5 more people like I would have to do, it is 5 times more expensive. 

I have tried to make gluten free bread twice now and each attempt has failed. I tried Bob's Red Mill bread in my bread machine and even though it tastes okay, I don't think I could eat it on a regular basis. I also found another recipe on this blog that was supposed to be super good. I got all the supplies, made it and was not thoroughly impressed. 

Between this, and being surrounded by gluten all the time, it is enough to make a person like me just want to leave. 

I struggle with becoming super angry with my family all because I fail to put something away or think it will be fine to leave somewhere and find that it has gotten cross contaminated. To witness my daughter touching the down stairs railing all the way down right after eating a gluten peanut butter sandwich etc. It is the little things like this that actually make a HUGE difference in how someone like me feels. 

I have searched and searched, educated myself until I was bursting at the seams with answers about celiacs and now this last year 2015 my eyes were opened even wider. 
I have studied human behavior while watching people either make my meal or make their own. 
A common behavior is to worry about cross contaminating everything but forgetting what their hands are touching.  

Sometimes I just wish I could rid all the gluten from my home and start from scratch. 
Other times it feels like I am living in a poisonous home filled with gluten. 
I guess one will just have it this way until we go completely gluten free or at least get rid of the staples that cause the issue which are in our household: PIZZA, BREAD & CHICKEN NUGGETS. 

All in good time. 

But be reassured everyone that you are not the only one who faces these challenges daily. 
I am definitely one of them.  WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS MY FRIEND!! 
*TOGETHER*. 

-The gluten free Momma






No comments:

Post a Comment